The Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD) is committed to the promotion of excellence in teaching, scholarship and research. Through varied degree programmes and course offerings, as well a range of extra-curricular activities, the Centre’s aim is to deliver cross-disciplinary teaching and learning that combines an understanding of key concepts, theories and debates with effective practical skills training. Drawing on the academic expertise of both the Centre and SOAS departments of Law, Politics, and Economics, and leveraging SOAS’ distinctive regional expertise, CISD programmes seek to look beyond the traditional Western-centric approach.
MA International Studies and Diplomacy(ISD) is our longest running programme. The programme’s aim is to provide students with the theoretical knowledge and skills training necessary for an international affairs related career. The option to select from a wide range of courses, and whether to focus on a particular field of interest or study more broadly across different disciplines of international studies, allows students to meet their specific professional needs and personal interests.
MA Globalisation and Multinational Corporations(GMC) is an innovative programme drawing on a unique inter-disciplinary perspective combining international economics and international law, as well as global public policy. The programme provides a thorough grounding in the theoretical and practical issues concerning the activities of multinational enterprises. It also examines how these activities affect contemporary global politics, production patterns and regulatory frameworks.
MSc Global Energy and Climate Policy(GECP) is the first Masters programme to address jointly the issues of climate and energy policy in an interdisciplinary fashion. It covers policy and regulatory change, the historical and technological evolution of energy sources, energy markets and their participants, the global governance of climate change as well as the challenges associated with transitioning to a low-carbon economy.
MA Global Diplomacy is a distance learning programme offered by SOAS, University of London. It will provide a rigorous theoretical and practical understanding of international affairs and contemporary diplomatic practice.
Research Degrees (MPhil/PhD) CISD welcomes applications from prospective MPhil/PhD students wishing to undertake multi-disciplinary research in areas of global studies that relate to the research interests of Centre members and the Centre’s research programmes.
What else does CISD offer?
In addition to SOAS wide activities and services, students have access to a range of activities organised exclusively for CISD students and included in the programme fee.
- Week long European study tour visiting international organisations such as the United Nations, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development or the European Commission
- Communication and media skills training by current and former BBC staff
- CISD offers its students the opportunity to take a language short course in the Language Centre, for one term, at no additional cost
- Media internship with SOAS Radio, an online station and social media enterprise
- Volunteer opportunities for Centre research projects addressing themes such as global disarmament, war crimes, and corporate accountability
- Guest lectures by leading scholars and senior practitioners, as well as our ‘end of year Annual Lecture and networking reception (listen to recent CISD podcasts)
- Alumni networking events such as our annual Alumni reception or Alumni-led careers workshops
We understand that choosing to study for a Masters is a big decision. If you are interested in studying at the Centre, we would be delighted to discuss with you any queries you have whether in person, on the phone or by Skype. To arrange an appointment with the Centre Director, Dan Plesch, or one of our degree convenors please contact us on the details below. Alternatively, contact us to speak with our dedicated student support officer for general information about applying and contacting recent alumni from your own country.
Tel:+44 (0) 20 7898 4840/4830
Watch Centre Director, Dan Plesch, introduce the CISD.